Belly Up to the Bar with a Make-Up Artist

Happy Wednesday Chicks (and all you lurking Roosters – we know you’re out there & you’re always welcome to join the fun)!

Today we are totally jacked to have a special guest who’s got plenty of swagger and mojo…and y’all, this girl REALLY knows her stuff when it comes to gettin’ dolled up. She pens a beauty blog called I Heart MakeUp Art. So sit back and enjoy these quick and fabulous tips on getting beautiful.

Take it away, Anna!

Hey beauties!

My name is Anna, and I’m a Make Up Artist/Beauty Blogger from Toronto, Canada. I am so excited to be guest blogging for Chick Swagger. Misty & Josie are so incredible and funny, and their readers are so loyal. I appreciate the opportunity! Thank you!

Back to the topic at hand: I’ll be sharing a few tips & tricks of the trade. Things like how to get gorgeous, dewy skin; how to make yourself presentable in 10 minutes or less; and how to turn that look from day to night. Are you excited? I know I am!

Let’s get started.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll snooze your alarm clock over and over until you realize, “Crap! I have to be at work in half hour.” (Note: my commute to work is only about 20 minutes, more or less) No worries, I’ll have you ready and out the door in no time!

First, throw your hair up into a presentable bun (if it’s long enough, of course) or pony tail. This alone will make you look more pulled together.

TIP:
A
lways start with a properly moisturized and primed face.

Grab your foundation. Skip the brushes, we’re getting our hands dirty and using our fingers. It’s quicker and wastes less product.

Pump foundation on to the back of your hand and dab it in 5 key spots:

• your chin
  • both cheeks
  • your nose
  • and forehead

With two fingers, blend in the foundation in circular motions. The foundation is supposed to replace your concealer, but if you feel like you need it, apply it now. Pick up your favorite cream blush, swirl two fingers in the pan and dab/swirl along your cheek bones and apples of the cheeks. Tip for mature women: Use a translucent or pressed powder to set your foundation. This will ensure your makeup will last all day and prevent foundation from settling into fine lines and wrinkles, making us look older. Time: 4-5 minutes.

Next are the eyes! All you’ll need is mascara and a neutral/white pencil eyeliner. Line your lower water line with the neutral/white eyeliner. This will open up your eyes, making your eyes appear bigger, the whites of your eyes brighter, and you’ll look more awake. Apply a couple of coats of mascara to your top and bottom lashes, and you’re done! Time: 2 minutes, tops!

For your lips, you can choose to play them up or keep them subtle. Take a lip product of your choice and get to work. Remember: your lip liner should either: a) match the natural color of your lips, or b) match your lipstick. Light lips + dark liner = NO NO! Time: 1 minute.

It’s that easy, ladies! Using this method of application, I’m able to greedily squeeze in an extra 10-15 minutes of sleep.

You can take this look from day to night in minutes, too! All you need is black eyeliner, charcoal eyeshadow, and a blending brush. My favorite is the MAC #217. The bristles are fine, dense, soft, and dome shaped. Perfect for getting into the crease of your eye. I chose a charcoal shade of eyeshadow because it is complementing to most, if not all, skin tones, and because it’s a really great buildable color. With a charcoal shade, you can decide how intense you want your look.

Line your upper water line with the black eyeliner (make sure to get near the lashes, this will give your eyes a bit more dimension), and your lower lash line from the outer corner to about halfway.

With your blending brushing, apply the charcoal eyeshadow to the outer quarter of your eyelid.

Work the color in towards your inner corner with a “windshield” wiper motion (ie. back and forth). Make sure to keep the intensity on the outer portion of your eyelid. The shade should get lighter as you work your way in, as to not close off your eyes and make them look small(er).

Repeat as desired. Lightly apply the eyeshadow to your lower lash line, over the black eyeliner, with the blending brush. This will set the eyeliner and keep it from smudging. Be sure to clean up any fall out with a tissue or Q-Tip. Reapply your mascara and lipstick, as needed.

I used to envy women with glowing/dewy skin. I thought it had to do with their diet or their skin care and although that does play a role, there’s a method to achieve this look. I’ve even implemented it into my 10 minutes or less morning routine. With practice, you can too!

You’ll want to start on an exfoliated canvas. (To exfoliate: to remove dead skin cells) If you’ve been neglecting your exfoliator, now is the time to pick it up and start combining it into your day or night routine. I have more time in the evenings, so I prefer to exfoliate a couple of nights a week. Un-exfoliated skin looks dull and dry. Exfoliating will help your makeup sit better on your face and bring out your natural, youthful glow.

While your skin is damp, mix your foundation with lotion or a liquid illuminizer (I use MAC Strobe Lotion). Apply your foundation concoction with a damp sponge. At this point, your face should look damp and dewy.

No need to set it with a translucent powder, we’re going in with bronzer next.

Lightly apply a shimmery bronzer along your forehead and hairline, on the tops of your cheeks, under your cheek bones, down the center of the nose, chin, and along your jaw line. (Maybe not THIS bronze, but Josie picked this picture…go figure…)

Optional: With a highlight powder, highlight your cheekbones and the sides of your nose by the inner corner of your eyes. I love MAC Pigment in Naked. It’s gorgeous, shimmery, and perfect for every skin tone!

To finish, using a mist spray like Model in a Bottle, MAC Fix+, or Lise Watier Magnifix. Mist it all over your face and let it settle. Voila! We’ve avoided the green eyed monster. We now have a dewy, glowing, youthful appearance

If you’ve made it this far down, THANK YOU! I apologize for the post being so drawn out but there were so many things I wanted to write to you about. If you’d like to learn more tips & tricks of the trade, please visit my blog www.iheartmakeupart.com. There, you will find tips, tricks, and tutorials for amateurs and professionals alike, product reviews, hauls, etc. Thanks for reading!

What tips/tricks/secrets can YOU share on speeding up your beauty routine? Any favorite products? Any questions for our makeup expert!  (Josie had a TON!)

Comments

1. I’m here to answer any & all questions!
    Thanks for reading
    And a big THANK YOU to Josie & MIsty!

2. OMG! Josie, I’m gonna kick your @ss!! People, I did NOT post the top two pictures…SOMEONE hi-jacked the post… lol

3. Reblogged this on i♥makeupart and commented:
    Here is my guest post on Chick Swagger.
    Check these ladies out! They’re witty and absolutely the sweetest.

4. Love this post and the detail! Am going to try it out tomorrow when i do my makeup for work :)

5. Mary Roya says:

I like wearing make-up. These are great tips.

6. jerridrennen says:

Hi, Anna! Didn’t know that about the pressed powder for older skin. What about the eyeliner? Is charcoal okay to use for us older women? I’ve been using a light brown.

• Hi Jerri!
      Eyeliner is ok for all ages, in my opinion. If you feel black is too harsh, try a brown. I like to use browns!
      Grey and brown eyeshadows are very soft, and also perfect for every age and skintone.

7. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation
    but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would
    never understand. It seems too complex and very broad
    for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

8. Linda Buechler says:

Hi, Anna! Despite my ….ahem… advancing age…I still have fairly oily skin. I’d love to use eye shadow on occasion, but it always settles into the creases on my eyelids after a couple hours, so I avoid it like the plague. I have tried dozens of brands, colors, and types. Any suggestions?

• Hi Linda,
      are you using a an eye primer?
      If not, try a cream(ier) eye primer like Lancome Aquatique. Or any one of the MAC Paint Pots.
      Eyeshadows alone crease on my eyelids, as well!

9. Linda Buechler says:

I do use a primer, but I’ve not tried that one. I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

10. Hey guys…what a nice break in the day! I adore experimenting with dramatic looks and then swinging drastically toward light, airy, and simple. A clever brush can do all kinds of fun things and I love the tips you’ve provided. What a perfect guest to host on Chick Swagger. *sigh* Truly, I would put this topic right up there with world peace. It’s every woman’s armor for self-confidence and a necessity in my book. Thank you for sharing. I love visiting here.

11. larissahoffman says:

Thank you! I love learning these kinds of tips.

12. Okay, Anna! So I was at Walmart tonight and stopped in the makeup aisles (Yes, I can hear you groaning from here!). I know, I know, but I didn’t have time to stop anywhere else and I wanted to experiment, so I bought a white eyeliner and a lip stain.

My verdicts:
    1. DON’T BUY CHEAP WHITE EYELINER (ex. NYC’s kohl white eyeliner – perhaps the 97 cents should have been my first clue?)
    2. I was pleasantly surprised that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the lipstain!!! (NYC Smooch Proof LipStain in 495 Endless Spice – it’s under $5).

I generally use Mary Kay cosmetics, but I plan to experiment much more now! Thanks again for being here and sharing your expertise with all of us! :D

• Walmart is not all that bad. There’s some great drugstore products out there.
      Lip Stains are great, especially if you dislike lipsticks or gloss but want to add a hint of color to your lips.
      As for the eyeliner….eeee I’d stay away from NYC completely lol

You’re so very welcome! I hope I haven’t kickedstarted some sort of makeup addiction in your now! lol

Okay Gals, after a hectic two days…Josie’s in the house!
    Anna, Love love love this post….expecially the pics of Misty and me at top…:)

I have officially fixed TWO of my makeup faux-pas already thanks to you!
    1. the eyeshadow over the eyeliner to ‘fix it’ from smudging worked awesome! Now I just jave to pick up some good brushes cause the stupid little foam tipped thingy the cheaper eyeshadows provide aint cuttin’ it.

2. the white eyeliner!!!!!!!! WOW how it opened up my eyes! im tending to look a little droopy as I age and I cant believe how that little trick perked my eyes up!

Questions for you:
    a. under eye circles. I have had them all my life and stuggle with them. cover up works….okay…but when Im tanner the dont look as bad. Any products you’d recommend?
    b. I love the new metallic eyeshadows. I usually dont ever wear eyeshadow but every once in a while I like to glam it up a bit. Heres the prob…with older eyes we have looser skin with a few more wrinkles then you young guns. How can I get eyeshadow to stop settling in my creases!

Thanks so much love! I think we should all send before anna and after anna pics to us then we can post them!
    Love Josie

• Josie, what white eyeliner brand did you pick up? The cheap shit I bought sucked.

BTW…I’m going in and changing your AVATAR since you haven’t done it for 4 months!!! LOL

• Okay, so it won’t let me change your avatar. You have to do it, I guess. And you’d better, this is our blog after all, people wanna see your purdy face! I’ll email you directions.

Hey love, I picked up one called Prestige at rite-aid drug store just to try. it was good! In fact…I did it a little too dark and tried to blind it in and it stuck like glue! I also tried just using a cream colored eye shadow…that worked good too! but tough not to get in the eye…
        Have fun with my avatar!!! I trust you???

• LOL! Don’t know that you should trust me after your shenanigans with the pics on the top of this post! Alas, I can’t change it for you. I emailed you directions on how to change it yourself, did you get them?

14. Hi Josie,
    Thanks for finally joing us ;) (just kidding!)

For your under eye circles, try using a yellow OR purple tinted concealer. Purple concealer is for really dark spots, if your bags aren’t that bad (which I presume that aren’t!), go with a yellow concealer.

As for the creasing, you need a really good eyeshadow primer. None of that “cheap shit” from the drugstore lol
    An extremely popular primer is Urban Decay Primer Potion (original). I’ve used it but I prefer a more solid, cream base like Lancome Aquatique. I haven’t experienced any creasing with my Lancome primer. I love it and it’s worth every penny!

15. Erika Hanson says:

The white/nude eye liner sounds like such a great tip. It’s on my list… did we come up with an official brand we should try?

• Hey Erika,
      I’m going to the mall sometime this weekend, and I plan to buy one. I’ll let you know my verdict. I’ll also email Josie to see what she picked up! :)

• Erika,
      I didn’t end up making out to the mall, but I did pick up a Loreal Double Extend Eye Illuminator Eyeliner that is Dual sided. One side defines (in color), the other illuminates (off white). I’ve used it once, and so far, I like it but it doesn’t last real long. It was just under $8. I’ll let you know if I find something else I like better. I’ll also email Anna for her official brand of choice. :)

16. Hey ladies,

Just though I’d let you know I nominated you for the Sunshine Award!

Trackbacks