A month ago, my doctor put me on a diet. Of all the freakin’ nerve! So what if my cholesterol went up 100 points in one year! I eat…’healthy,’ I excercise…WTF!
I went on a God-damned diet. A low carb, low cholesterol, 1100 calorie-a-day meal-replacement DIE…t. UGHH! But I was determined to commit and succeed. And I have to say, I did. I lost 16 lbs in 3 weeks, which is absolutely absurd when you think about it. And truth be told…I felt like shit!
Because I denied myself so many natural, healthy foods, and stuffed myself with processed crap!
I just LOVE food. I love everything about it. I love it when I’m happy, when I’m sad, when I celebrate, and when when I’m bored. I’ve even been known to sneak out in the middle of the night for a Reeses Pieces Sundae at Friendly’s because I just needed to … to … feel good?
God…that sounds weird, but it’s so true isn’t it? Food has such power over us.
When I was young, my grandmother taught me to use food for anything that ails ya’. Ice cream made me happy…Macaroni soothed my soul…Strawberry Rhubarb pie was for celebrating…And Lipton Noodle soup (with extra noodles added!) was great when I was feeling blue. Sundays were spent on her back porch where we spent family time together and enjoyed my grandfather’s homegrown corn, beans, tomatoes, strawberries…anything he could fit in his 3 acre garden. I’d spent many summers with my BB gun chasing away the birds so the harvest was always good. Food takes me back to my carefree childhood…
But I as I grew…and grew…and grew….and became ‘the fat girl’ in elementary school, food started to become the enemy. H.A.T.E.D school ‘weigh in’ day when the nurse would scream (it seemed like she screamed, cause the kids always snickered) out your weight in front of the whole class, and when it was emergency bus drill day… kids never wanted to be the one to help me off the back of the bus. Being the fat kid sucked. Therefore…food and dieting became my life for many years.
And much to my dismay, when I focused so much on food, or lack thereof, I missed out on a lot of living.
I’m in a much better place now, thanks to age and maturity. I’m no longer enemies with food. I like it again…A LOT! And I think…after this last diet fiasco, I’ve found some basic things that work for me….Shit I actually learned in kindergarten!
1. I learned to eat many small snacks (not meals!) a day to keep my metabolism humming.
2. I learned I was satisfied on these small snacks because I never got hungry (so I never over-ate!).
3. I learned that my body Reeeeeally craves healthy food.
What the hell constitutes healthy food? Should we trust the government to tell us what is healthy? The USDA? The FDA?
I’m thinking….NFW!(NOT!) (MISTY!…get the acronym dictionary!!)
These governmental agencies are governed by ecomic$$$$…not what’s best for you or your family. They stand on a delicate wire, balancing what barely (and sometimes doesn’t) passes safety ‘standards’ and what makes money for the large food growers in America. (Mainly the Dairy and Meat Industries…)
Now, I’m not an expert in this field. I’m not even a novice. I’m just learning and I want to pass what I’m learning on to you.
We are slowly being poisoned for the sake of making food last longer on the shelves, and for the sake of producing more meat, dairy, and eggs faster so we can sell more and make more money. Our fruits and vegetables are full of pesticides and waxes to make them look appetizing. Remember my earlier rant about ‘The Media Thinks You’re Fat, Ugly and Stupid’? Well, the food industry thinks you’re just plain stupid.
Take control people! This is the only body you’ve got…and it’s not gonna work for long if you keep abusing it. Injury and disease can set in quickly and put a major damper on your lifestyle. Start now!
Make little concessions. Here are a few of mine.
1. Start by eating the way your ancestors ate. Real food! Not processed and put in boxes and packages. Shop in the outside aisles of the stores. ‘Convenience’ crap isn’t healthy. (It’d be nice if we could all afford to buy organic (and make sure it’s CERTIFIED ORGANIC or your not getting completly organic food).)
2. READ LABELS. If there are more than five ingredients, it’s probably full of shit that is not healthy for your body. When your body is not healthy, it doesn’t work efficiently. When it doesn’t work efficiently, it gets tired, fat, achey and diseased! Whole foods are foods that are exactly what they are without chemical processing…dairy (natural cheeses!), fruits, meat, fish veggies, whole grains(white flours are PROCESSED).
Cheez Whiz and Rice-A-Roni and Doritos are processed:
3. Try to eliminate as much sugar from your diet as possible. Sugar creates and acidic environment in your body which isn’t healthy and it makes your body store fat. Some is okay, but sugar is hidden everywhere! It’s in all types of foods you would never imagine. You are eating WAAAYYY more than you realize. (Artificial Sweeteners are…ARTIFICIAL!!! They are chemical compounds…)
3. Eat small healthy snacks every 2 hours to keep that metabolism running and to keep from getting hungry. If you don’t feed it, your metabolism says, “Shit, she is starving…shut everything down and start storing for the fast!”
4. Dieting is for dummies. Feeding your body to keep it healthy and working efficiently is brilliant.
5. Sorry to say… healthy weight really does come down to calories in vs. calories out!
Since losing weight, my knees don’t hurt anymore, I’m not sucking wind when I carry laundry upstairs, and I just feel plain old good about myself. Not because I’ve lost weight, but because I’ve committed to something, made myself proud because I exercised self-discipline, and my body and brain just feel great when they are fed good stuff.
So…What’s all this have to do with having Chickswagger? It’s your body, baby! If you want it to be healthy, to last, to perform, to be a healthy example to your children….TAKE CONTROL!
Chicks with swagger know we not only need to keep our minds healthy, but our bodies, too. So…here’s a sneak peek at our newest addition to the CS runway… (OMG, we’re so excited!!!)
Meet Jodi Roper. Director of Group Fitness, Personal Trainer, and Instructor at Courts Plus (and Misty’s boss where she teaches Zumba!). Jodi is not only a fabulous motivator, passing along words of wisdom like, “Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart!!” But she is also bucket loads of fun, smart, sassy, and a total inspiration.
Have you ever met someone who’s run an “ultra marathon”? On a hilly trail? That would be a 50K, or 31.07 miles, people. Yeah, meet Jodi, y’all. She’s signed on as our resident fitness expert here at Chick Swagger. (Okay, so we had to beg, but we did it for you. We’re awesome like that.)
Jodi will post once a month on topics related to health, fitness and motivation. Be ready to be amazed and inspired to become your best physical self yet!
So! How are you feeling about the amazing body you are living in? Is it healthy? Do you take good care of it and fuel it to the best of your ability? What does your ‘health future’ look like right now?
Do you buy into the government’s propaganda which markets big industry producers regardless if their practices are unsafe for us? What are some questions you might have? Recipes? Ideas to share?
There is TONS of research out there regarding how unhealthy our food is in America. I suggest you take a peek.
Get healthy and live well! (Then go to the adult ‘toy’ store and celebrate!)