Holiday greetings, Swaggerly readers. It’s that time of year again, and if you’re like me, you’ve probably strutted through November thinking, “Christmas? No problem. It’s not even December yet.” Yep, and then that December 1st date hits. And your family is spread out, not only across the country, but across the world. AND it’s too late to mail presents at any rate resembling reasonable… CUE FREAKOUT!!! But not to worry, folks. The Chicks are here to the rescue, with gift cards!
Since it is that time of the year, and I’m feeling the holiday spirit, I wanted to share a little first. You see, I’m a mom, and as a mom, I always get the urge to buy every toy on the planet. BUT, that’s not what Christmas is about to me, and not what I want to impart to my children. There’s a magic that surrounds this time of year. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, the magic comes from–don’t let my kids read this, ‘cause it ain’t Santa–US.
Yep, US. People. Humanity. Because at this time of the year, for some reason, we all seem to remember that we’re human. That our purpose is to LOVE.
That’s what brings me to: The Smallest Acts of Kindness. We’ve all been on the receiving end of these. Sometimes, it’s really tiny. Like the person before you holding the door open. Or that man on the subway giving a pregnant lady his seat (thank you, sir!). They may not be significant, but they make all the difference in the world.
For me, it was that elderly gentleman who pulled me out of a snow-filled ditch when I was eight and my leg got stuck. It was that group of guys who pushed my car out when it got stuck in an icy parking lot. Basically, any time I’ve had issues with winter weather, I’m so grateful that good people stopped to help me. Just call me a Snow Damsel in Distress
For others, it’s this trend: The Paying It Forward Coffee Purchase that’s struck many communities. I think that’s just awesome :)
And getting even bigger, a Canadian airline recently played a sneaky Santa trick that *ahem* might have brought a few tears to my eyes. But it’s likely the onion I was chopping while watching…
Ha! Underwear Guy is SO kicking himself for not asking for a big screen t.v. too!
Granted, the last one was tied to advertising, but STILL. Sometimes when you watch the news or read the newspaper, it seems like the world is filled with violence. Small acts like these help us to remember that isn’t the case. There’s LOVE too. A lot of it.
On to gift giving. Rule Number 1 is it’s gotta come from the heart. So here are the Chick’s top picks of Last-Minute-But-Still-Heartfelt Gifts:
1. Because we love you, and it wouldn’t be Christmas without some Santa hunks, here ya go: Vonnie XOXOX
2. Here’s an easy gift that comes from the heart. Buy a deck of cards. On the first card write 52 Reasons Why I Love You. Then on the face of each card write a reason why you love the person you are giving the deck to. This can be for a significant other, your mom, a sibling, a friend, anyone that you care for. The sayings inside can be humorous, serious, sugary, or a mixture. Then punch a hole in each card and bind them together. It’s a wonderful little gift that come from the heart. Here’s a video to give you a better idea of what it looks like: XOXOX Renee
3. Fondue Set – This is a really great gift for couples or a family because experiences are more memorable than most gifts. Nothin’ like sitting around the fondue pot and sharing! These range in price, so it can fit most budgets. XOXOX Misty
4. I love a reuse-and-repurpose gift (Much like Renee’s Deck-of-Cards). I love gifts that cost little to nothing then are made into something from the heart. Make a spoon into a necklace by bending the handle and hooking onto a chain…glue little beads on it in the shape of an initial, a heart, a star… Make a journal from a simple notebook by using Mod-Podge to glue a paper bag on the covers (high gloss is coooool!) Then get creative with string and yarn and and buttons and beads…When you give it to your loved one include a first page filled out by you describing that person on the OWNER page (For my mother who is…).
And there is nothing more fun or easier than a funky candle holder. Find ANYTHING… Glue a small, cheap tea light or votive holder to a cool branch, a fun kids toy (dinosaur, barbie’s arms, truck, rubicks cube, game board…), Mod-Podge fall leaves on the outside of a mason jar. Glue beads, buttons, twigs and/or twine, glue something on the outside or a tin can, mason jar or favorite glass or stem wear that reminds you of the person: coins, buttons, beads, cinnamon sticks, moss, pebble, candy canes, lace or paint a tin can and sand it for a ‘vintage’ look and Mod-Podge an old label printed from the computer…or family pics in black and white! Somebody STOP me! Get creative! XOXOX Josie
5. Gifts don’t have to cost anything! One of my faves is when last year my hubby and my sons took the time to surprise me by creating an Artists Workshop in our basement for me. It was nothing fancy…no money was spent. They just cleaned and arranged and set up all my shelves and easels and tools and supplies in the most fun, useable way. I had no idea I could feel so loved. Time is so valuable… XOXOX Josie
6. I’m huge into baking, so at this time of the year, close friends and neighbours know to expect goodies from me! New this year, I’m adding a hot chocolate mix and here’s my recipe: 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, 1 1/4 cups skim milk powder, 2 Tbsp. powdered non-dairy creamer, 1 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk or dark chocolate shavings, pinch salt. Blend well to avoid clumps. Gift in spice jars or mason jars with directions on a cute label like this: XOXOX Rachael
Add 3-4 Tbsp. of mix to ¾ cup of hot water. Enjoy!
FROZEN HOT CHOCOLATE
Dissolve 2 Tbsp. of mix in 2 Tbsp. of hot water. Blend with 3 ice cubes. Enjoy!
7. Anything from Amazon is my quick heartfelt send. Sorry. It’s the whole “They send it after I one-click” that makes it heartfelt to me! Pictures too. My older relatives all want pictures this year. XOXOX Susannah
The Chicks are going to choose 3 random commenters for a $5 Amazon gift card!!! Now it’s your turn to share. What’s a Small Act of Kindness someone gave you? Do you have any heartfelt gifts to add to our list?