So…I’ve been injured…for 6 months, out of work, feeling like a complete slug, thinking about my body, my mind and my life.
Yeah…dangerous I know. But do you know what I’ve decided?
We are being poisoned by our environment, and I think there is a much safer, healthier, all-natural way to be living life.
So, I’m jumping on the Mother-Nature-Express. You in?
Now, I know I’ve topped this soapbox before (Hotdogs and Nuggets and Fries…Oh My!),but I felt the need to jump back on to encourage a healthy dialog among some of the most brilliant people I know! You!
As a result of capitalism, (don’t get me wrong…I love the fact that in America we can work hard and make our own money.) the idea that companies can manufacture and market their wares based on consumer ‘demand,’ I personally feel the average person is getting a ‘toxic’ deal.
Think about it. Our meat is ‘enhanced‘ by chemicals to grow faster and fatter, our veggies are ‘protected’ by chemicals to keep them blemish free, our cleaning products are all ‘antibacterialized’ by chemicals that supposedly protect us from scary germs…And why?
Because people think they need this crap to be safe. The media sells it to us making us think we need it to survive. And WHY do advertising companies make us think we neeeeeeeeeeeeed it? Because if they are successful, they make a hell of a lot of money.
Well I’m on a mission! I’m revolting! Uhmmm…I’m not revolting, as in gross….I’m revolting as in starting my own personal revolution! I’m cleaning out my body…cleaning out my home…and saving money to boot!
I’m going Au-Naturelle, Old-School, Mean-And-Green!
But where does one start in a Revolution? From within…
I’ll keep this as simple as possible: The food we eat and the chemicals we absorb from products we use are creating a toxic environment in our bodies that is inhibiting our ‘perfect machine’ from performing the way it should. Simple…to the point…
If the machine doesn’t work, it breaks down, it gets sick, it can’t fight invaders the way it was designed to do. The human body is thoroughly and utterly amazing. It really doesn’t need help to do what it was designed to do.
( Pssst….Rumor has it, what our body doesn’t recognize as a protein, fat, carb, mineral or vitamin (that leaves garbage additives…) it creates a cozy little fat cell to store it in for later…just in case it can use it.)
You can make the most of it by getting your machine in peak working order! Adding toxins and chemicals and dyes and preservatives through your food and environment is not the way to PEAK!
You need to unclog the machine of these things, and let it do its miraculous work!
Let’s start like this:
1. Try eating clean: foods in their most natural state. (ie. No chicken nuggets.)
Veggies, fruits and lean proteins (organic if you can afford it), whole grains and some dairy. (the jury is confused on this one…what other animal drinks the milk of a different species? hmmmm? Many say cow’s milk is really detrimental to our machine…clogs things up…confuses it…you decide. Almond milk and coconut milk are GREAT substitutes.)
10 Foods to Detox Your Body – Dr. Alejandro Junger – try a week of these foods and see how great you’ll feel!
- Green leafy(spinach, kale) and carciferous(broccoli) veggies (super foods!)
- Cold water fish (least amount of toxins, good fats, good proteins)
- Chicken (organic preferably, great protien with less risk of contamination from beef or pork)
- Berries (major phytochemicals which help protect cells from damage.)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (TONS of homeopathic benifits… http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5169/10-Benefits-of-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Infographic.html )
- Lemon water (creates and alkaline environment in the body. Disease feeds on an acidic environment!)
- Herbal teas (make sure they contain real herbs and no artificial flavors! Lemon-digestion fat emulsion, Ginger-immune, circulatory…)
- Unsweetened coconut milk (great fats and nutrition, antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic)
- Coconut oil (great fat…helps with brain function, antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic)
- Plant-based protein powder (especially for those who don’t eat much meat)
Protein Shakes in the morning are a perfect start-up for your morning. 10 oz coconut milk, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 banana, a few spinach leaves (you wont even taste it!) 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 scoop protein powder.
2. Clean and Green your environment: “The labels on most household products read like the periodic table violently collided with a bowl of alphabet soup. What are those ingredients, and what might they do to our homes, our pets and our loved ones? A foolproof way to know what’s in your cleaning products is to make them yourself. It’s easy and economical, with the added benefit of reducing your household’s carbon footprint by creating less packaging waste and less pollution from manufacturing and shipping.” www.motherearthliving.com
When you use ‘products’ with all those chemicals, they get into your environment and into your family’s bodies. Yuck! Not to mention every time you use ANYTHING that says ANTIBACTERIAL you are creating superbugs . Those critters that naturally re-invent themselves to be impenetrable to ‘antibacterial chemicals’ as well as antibiotics! Hence, all the new illnesses that antibiotics are not working on! You are also prohibiting your own body’s immune system from adapting and strengthening. Your body, when working at its true potential, is capable of fighting many if not all of these invaders on its own! The key is..the machine HAS to be working!
There are NATURAL, non-chemical ways to disinfect your home and take care of personal hygiene! Go Figure! Nature once again provides ALL that we need to survive.
With these 15 items, you can clean just about anything.
■ Baking Soda: scrubbing, whitening
■ Beeswax: polishing wood
■ Borax (sodium borate): removing stains/disinfecting
■ Club Soda (or any unflavored fizzy water): lifting stains
■ Cornstarch: absorbing stains
■ Hydrogen Peroxide: disinfecting, removing stains
■ Lemon: removing stains and odors
■ Liquid Dish Soap: sudsing power
■ Olive Oil: polishing wood
■ Pine Oil: cleaning soft wood floors
■ Plant Essential Oils: chemical-free fragrance (do a sniff test before buying to make sure you’re not sensitive to the fumes)
■ Salt: scrubbing
■ Toothpaste: polishing metal
■ Washing Soda (sodium carbonate): scrubbing, removing stains and cutting grease
■ White Vinegar: disinfecting, removing stains
You could really cut back and stick to 3 basic household ingredients: lemons, baking soda, and white vinegar. All non-toxic. All inexpensive. All safe to ingest (in case your dog likes to lick everything after you clean it…or if you have little children crawling around).
Lemons: Lemons contain a high concentration of citric acid. And acid = amazing grease-cutting powers. Plus, it’s a natural odor neutralizer. (I frequently shove old lemon slices down my garbage disposal…gets rid of any lingering smells immediately! Also try simering lemon with lavendar or rosemary or cloves on the stove for a great air freshener!
It’s alkaline properties (meaning it’s pH is greater than 7, which qualifies it as a base) mean it can neutralize an acid.
The juice of a lemon is a natural anti-bacterial and is safe to use where babies or pets may come into contact.
Starting in the kitchen, lemon juice has many uses:
- It can remove strong odors from wooden or plastic chopping boards by rubbing half a lemon into the surface or the board, leaving for a couple of minutes and then rinsing in water and allowing to dry naturally.
- Stains can easily be removed from cutlery by rubbing half a lemon over the stain followed by a good buffing with a cloth.
- Copper pans and dishes will sparkle if you give them a regular clean with half a lemon and salt rubbed over the surface to remove tarnishing. Afterwards, rinse the copperware well with water to remove all traces.
- Keep half a lemon in your fridge to keep unpleasant smells at bay.
- Lemon juice is wonderful for removing grease and soap deposits and even lime scale from taps and plug holes.
- Use one part lemon juice to five parts hot water to wipe down your bathroom tiles and glass shower screen.
- Try a mixture of borax powder and lemon juice to clean your toilet and keep it smelling fresh.
- For an effective furniture polish try mixing one part lemon to two parts olive oil and use a soft cloth to apply to wooden furniture.
- Lemon juice mixed with water can be decanted into a plant spray bottle and used to clean your windows and mirrors throughout the home.
- Bring back the sparkle to glass ornaments by dipping the ornament in warm water and rubbing with half a lemon.
Vinegar: A natural by-product of fruits and vegetables, vinegar is a naturally mild acid. It has antimicrobial properties which makes it a natural disinfectant that can be used for sanitizing and cleaning stains. (alcohol also disinfects by the way!)
Hardwood floors: 1/4 cup white vinegar + 30 ounces warm water. Spray and wipe.
Clogged drains: 1/2 cup baking soda first down the drain, then 2 cups boiling water. For tougher drains, add 1/2 cup white vinegar after baking soda and flush with a gallon of boiling water.
Glass cleaner: 2 teaspoons white vinegar + 1 gallon of water in a spray bottle. Squirt on, then wipe with newspaper (prevents streaking!)
Countertop and stove top cleaner: equal parts water + white vinegar
Fabric softener: 1/2 to 1 cup vinegar to softener dispenser
Weed killer: spray full-strength white vinegar on unwanted weeds.
Also, vinegar can be used to prevent mold from growing on your berry fruit. Mix about 2 tsp. of vinegar to a few cups of water and rinse! The berries can stay in your fridge for over a week without growing that nasty white fluffy stuff on them!
Baking Soda: A natural scrubber, stain remover, and grease cutter! Baking soda is also THE BEST deodorizer. Fill a mason jar half full the drop a few drops of a scented natural oil into it…cover the jar with a pretty sheet of paper and poke holes into it and place in any closet or room!
Now, without making this a chemistry lessen, just know that all of that information means these ingredients can be used to clean and disinfect your home NATURALLY. Yay!
Check out Happygreenmama at www.favorcreative.com for tons of recipes to make simple, clean, effective cleansers for every surface in your home! (Pinterest…yes I am a Pinterest-aholic…is a great place to find awesome recipes…just type ‘homemade cleaners’ in the search bar!
Talk about saving money, your health and the environment!
Why not spend a small portion of your time and make your own laundry detergent? 1/3 bar of natural soap, 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup arm and hammer washing soda and 1 gallon of water!
This would cost you 55 Cents per gallon and at 1/4 cup a load you could do 64 loads! AND you could use any scent soap that you enjoy! (OR….try making your own homemade soap! EASY at www.maplesprings.com/makesoap/)
Laundry soap directions: Use basic grater to grate soap. Dissolve into 1 qt warm water over heat. Add the borax and the washing soda and continue to stir over low heat until powders are dissolved and mixture becomes a bit thick. Pour into 3 qts of cool(not cold) water in a container and stir until completely mixed then transfer to container of your choice! Use 1/4 cup for each load…safe for HE washers. If too thick add an extra gallon of water but use 1/2 cup in washer.
Okay…I could go on and on and on with suggestions and ideas for a healthier ‘inner’ you and a healthier ‘outer’ you, but Misty would spank me for my word count! I’d love to go more in-depth in future posts if you are interested.
I really feel passionate about this revolution. Too many auto-immune diseases, too many resistant infections, too many sick, tired, worn out people in the world in an age where we should be light years ahead.
“Studies show that the incidence of multiple sclerosis … has risen from less than 100,000 cases in 1979 to over 400,000 in 1999. …The incidence of type 1 diabetes has more than doubled in children in the past 30 years. Additionally, in the United States, celiac disease is more than four times more common today than it was 50 years go. These studies show an alarming trend that we believe is occurring throughout the United States and the world. Researchers think that this increase is due to a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental factors.” American Autoimmune and Related Diseases Association.
Note the ‘environmental factors’ slipped in there…
And why aren’t we healthy? Does the drive to produce mass quantities of products, that have a long shelf life, that appeal to the everyday uninformed busy person as something they NEED to have for either safety or convenience drive this increase in disease and decline in overall health and wellness? The drive to make money.
Chicken from 1950(no growth hormones used then) at 64 days old and chicken (right) at present (growth hormones and antibiotics used) at 48 days old…
(Dont get me going, but even the health industry is a profit producing industry…what would happen if people used natural remedies and didn’t need so many medications anymore? Talk about a slam to the economy! Of course Western Medicine prefers Reactive Solutions instead of Proactive. It makes a hell of a lot more money! There is a time and a place for prescription medications, but in many circumstances we may be able to do without them if the machine were in working order.)
Funny how in Eastern Medicine (natural medicine) they promote natural preventative practices. We, in the west call it ALTERNATIVE medicine…Why? because our medical model is based solely on reactionary practices. A bit behind the eight-ball…wouldn’t you say?
Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
What’s your view?
Have any great natural recipes for health and beauty? Cleaning? Treating illnesses?
I’m doing a lot of study on Fighting Back with Foods and Going Green in my home so zip me any questions you want me to research! Heck…I’m out of work for a broken back so I might as well research for y’all!
All info in this post is my opinion based on research I’ve done over the years. I’m not an expert…just a gal who wants to get it right!